Teraz jest 2020-09-29, 19:57

Wszystkie czasy w strefie UTC + 1 [czas letni (DST)]

Autor Wiadomość
PostNapisane: 2005-07-18, 00:52 

whats the difference between these sentences:

1 it has been raining steadily since last Saturday vs 2 it has rained steadily since last Saturday (is it still raining in 1 and 2 or its not rainig anymore in 2? or some other explanation?)

3 he has been working in the same job for 30 years vs 4 he has worked in the same job for 30 years ( in 3 and 4 he is still workin there or in 4 he has resigned etc? or..?)

all the grammar books i ve read say "theres just a slight diference of emphasis" but never actualy explain the diference? so how wud u comment on the difference between those pairs? how would u interpret those sentences?

thnx

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2005-07-18, 23:06 

A speaker could say either 1 or 2 whether or not it is still raining, and the meaning would be understood as essentially the same. Of course the formal meaning of 1 is that it continues to rain, and of 2 that the raining has stopped by the time you speak that sentence.

I think the same as I said about 1 and 2 for 3 and 4.

I guess if there is a difference the speaker of 2 and 4 is probably emphasizing or thinking that what is described is in the past or essentially done or finished.

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2005-07-19, 00:49 

Well done Ken this post has given me a lot of self-doubt.

How is Washington?

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2005-07-19, 07:27 

Hello Mark. There is no reason for self doubt here. silversplit just wants to know what native speakers think about these. Your posts are excellant, and also you have some speaking and writing knowledge of Polish.

What I did with the Windows Polish keyboard is type each row of characters into a word processor page in big fonts. I then printed this out so I could refer to it when I am in the Polish keyboard mode. Soon you realize that most of the special characters are located on the bracket and punctuaton keys on the right hand side of the keyboard. And yes the changing placement of z and y depending on what mode you are in continues to be irritating.

I live in the Pacific Northwest on the East side of Washington State in Spokane. The weather is sunny and hot (not too hot) 87 F (31 C). Temperatures will increase later in the week to 91 F (33C). Can you tell us something about where you are located?

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2005-07-19, 17:29 

Thanks Ken for your vote of confidence in me, but it was one of these things that I kept playing over in your mind and they sounded right but I was just not sure. I just did not want to give duff information.

I live in a place called Warrington, which is between Liverpool and Manchester in Northwest England. My ambitions are to move to North Wales.

GZ suggestion to switch to a programmers keyboard is brill, much easier then trying to remember z is y and y is z, although some of the UK keys do get moved the @ key becomes “ and I can not get the £ symbol anymore

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2005-07-19, 21:33 

Mark, I don't know if the Polish programmers keyboard will work for me. I have Windows XP configured for 3 keyboards, English, Polish and Russian. I cycle through these by simultaneously pressing the ALT-Shift keys.

I like Wales because that is where the late actor Richard Burton was born, in Pontrhydyfen.

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2005-07-19, 21:52 

mark one napisał(a):
GZ suggestion to switch to a programmers keyboard is brill, much easier then trying to remember z is y and y is z, although some of the UK keys do get moved the @ key becomes “ and I can not get the £ symbol anymore

I have one more tip for you, there is a functionality which can make it even easier for you, when you know about it... (and maybe you already do know :smile:)

In the system tray (this is that place in the right lower corner of the screen with the watch) you should see the keyboard layout indicator (white capital letters on a blue square). If you do not see it, then you have to open the layout configuration window again and find a check box to make it appear on the system tray.

With this indicator you can switch between selected keyboard layouts just by clicking on it with the left mouse button - this should open a list with available layouts to choose from.

Additionally you can define a keyboard shortcut for each available layout, so you won't have to use the mouse while using the keyboard.

The only problem is that I am not sure if all this will work under W98 (I have tested it only with Win XP) but I hope it will :)
You may test switching layouts using a keyboard shortcut Left Alt + Shift (the indicator should show the change between PL and EN layouts) - if this will work, I think all the rest should work too.

Good luck with experimenting :)

GZ

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2005-07-20, 01:44 

I have one more tip for you, there is a functionality which can make it even easier for you, when you know about it... (and maybe you already do know :smile:)

In the system tray (this is that place in the right lower corner of the screen with the watch) you should see the keyboard layout indicator (white capital letters on a blue square). If you do not see it, then you have to open the layout configuration window again and find a check box to make it appear on the system tray.

With this indicator you can switch between selected keyboard layouts just by clicking on it with the left mouse button - this should open a list with available layouts to choose from.

Additionally you can define a keyboard shortcut for each available layout, so you won't have to use the mouse while using the keyboard.

The only problem is that I am not sure if all this will work under W98 (I have tested it only with Win XP) but I hope it will :)
You may test switching layouts using a keyboard shortcut Left Alt + Shift (the indicator should show the change between PL and EN layouts) - if this will work, I think all the rest should work too.

Good luck with experimenting :)

GZ[/quote]

tHanks GZ I have got that one although I can not define keyboard shortcut in Win 98, but I do have the little blue square.

I have a problem when cutting and pasting the Polish characters ê turns into ê for eg and ³ becomes 3 any ideas on how to solve this problem

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2005-07-21, 23:00 

mark one napisał(a):
I have a problem when cutting and pasting the Polish characters ę turns into ê for eg and ł becomes 3 any ideas on how to solve this problem

I have some suspicions but unfortunately I have a really busy week now and no time to investigate that. I will contact you via PM on saturday and maybe we will be able to solve your problem together.

Regards,
GZ

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2005-07-22, 00:33 

Thanks GZ

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2005-07-22, 01:41 

hi native speaker boys - thnx for ur replies :D

Wszystkie czasy w strefie UTC + 1 [czas letni (DST)]