Teraz jest 2021-01-18, 11:41

Wszystkie czasy w strefie UTC + 1 [czas letni (DST)]

Utwórz nowy wątek Odpowiedz w wątku  [ Posty: 20 ]  Przejdź na stronę Poprzednia strona  1, 2
Autor Wiadomość
 Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2008-10-21, 19:39 

Well then I learnt something new, "boor".

"Boer" has two meanings depending on who says it to you:

- a non-Afrikaner could mean it in a derogatory way, as you say, meaning peasant, farmer, ignoramus.

- one Afrikaner to another, is a sign of respect, of saying you're a real man of the earth, you respect where you came from etc.

I have comparatively little knowledge of the colonisation of North America, but nevertheless I would certainly disagree with you. It's enough to read a few short stories of Sienkiewicz to see the two worlds that existed there - the lawless wild west, where life was cheap, and people almost devolved into animals; and the wealthy cultured parts. Same in SA - Cape Town was always the cultural centre, later Pretoria, Durban and Johannesburg. I strongly believe that one characteristic of the colonisation of the new world was the huge separation between the lower and higher echelons of society.

If you want some entertaining reading, I recommend Herman Charles Bosman, "The Complete Oom Schalk Lourens Stories" (English), a collection of short stories of the Afrikaner times. Also notable is his "Cold Stone Jug".

In Afrikaans I highly recommend anything by Dalene Matthee, especially "Kringe in die Bos", "Moerbeibos", and "Fiela se Kind". Very simple language, aimed at the high school market - you could probably read it fluently. Translations of these books, however, have sold extremely well internationally.

For more literary efforts in English, J.M. Coetzee won many prizes including a recent Nobel. "The Life and Times of Michael K" and "Disgrace" are excellent in their nihilism, pessimism, and sheer racism in such subtle ways that so far the South African mass readership has not caught on yet. In Afrikaans you could probably not do better than Andre P. Brink, with "A Droe Wit Seisoen" or "n Oomblik in die Wind".

All these are available in English too, so readers - please don't hesitate to buy to expand your English and learn about Africa and learn lots of new words. The best SA online shop is www.kalahari.net

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2008-10-21, 23:55 

Hello, Wixer. I haven't been here for quite a time

Hi Montserrat Good to hear from you again. Thanks for your input. A special thanks to digilante too who has made this a fascinating thread. ( Moim zdaniem ) :wink:

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2008-10-22, 09:46 

Kod:
"Boer" has two meanings depending on who says it to you:

- a non-Afrikaner could mean it in a derogatory way, as you say, meaning peasant, farmer, ignoramus.

- one Afrikaner to another, is a sign of respect, of saying you're a real man of the earth, you respect where you came from etc.

Interesting; reminds me of the double sense of 'Polak', which is a normal word for a Pole in Poland but in certain countries can have a derogatory meaning.

Kod:
I have comparatively little knowledge of the colonisation of North America, but nevertheless I would certainly disagree with you. It's enough to read a few short stories of Sienkiewicz to see the two worlds that existed there - the lawless wild west, where life was cheap, and people almost devolved into animals; and the wealthy cultured parts. Same in SA - Cape Town was always the cultural centre, later Pretoria, Durban and Johannesburg. I strongly believe that one characteristic of the colonisation of the new world was the huge separation between the lower and higher echelons of society.

Yes, this is true but the thing is that both in New England and in parts of French North America there were no such separation; Sienkiewicz described the situation that obtained when the cultured East already existed, but how did it came into being, in the first place? Look at those Puritans, scarcely arrived and settled down, they (a certain Mr. Harvard) are founding a school that was to become famous all over the world. The colonisation of say Virginia and Maryland was not exactly like that but in many respects similar. The Wild West story is more like the settlement of Australia, say. South Africa is again another story, that's why I said the comparison was only very rough...

Kod:
If you want some entertaining reading, I recommend Herman Charles Bosman, "The Complete Oom Schalk Lourens Stories" (English), a collection of short stories of the Afrikaner times. Also notable is his "Cold Stone Jug".

In Afrikaans I highly recommend anything by Dalene Matthee, especially "Kringe in die Bos", "Moerbeibos", and "Fiela se Kind". Very simple language, aimed at the high school market - you could probably read it fluently. Translations of these books, however, have sold extremely well internationally.

Thank you for these tips, I must ashamedly confess that I never heard of these authors. Maybe one day...

Kod:
For more literary efforts in English,  J.M. Coetzee won many prizes including a recent Nobel. "The Life and Times of Michael K" and "Disgrace" are excellent in their nihilism, pessimism, and sheer racism in such subtle ways that so far the South African mass readership has not caught on yet. In Afrikaans you could probably not do better than Andre P. Brink, with "A Droe Wit Seisoen" or "n Oomblik in die Wind".

Thank you, heard of both, read as of yet neither. Hopefully (pardon the Americanism) I shall get round to reading either (or both) maybe 'when I am old and full of sleep' to travest W. B. Yeats. Except for nihilism and pessimism, we've got plenty of it in Europe, and I live partly in Germany where they've got oomphs of both, much more than in sweet Poland (Pologne la douce, pour parler avec Roland le chevalier). I prefer American optimism and godliness, naive though they might seem at times.
Kod:
All these are available in English too, so readers - please don't hesitate to buy to expand your English and learn about Africa and learn lots of new words. The best SA online shop is www.kalahari.

Talking about 'expanding one's English' --- is there, are there any characteristic 'South Africanisms', some linguistic marks of that part of the English-speaking world, like the Australianisms 'gdy' (good day) and 'myte' (mate)?

There's a remote similarity between South African and Australian accents (in English) to my ear, such as the tendency to pronounce the short 'a' like 'e' ('dad' sounds like 'dead') but then they are rather different. You don't say 'mike' for 'make' or ' moik' for 'Mike' or 'mayk' for 'meek', do you?

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2008-10-22, 09:52 

quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si materiari possit? Respondeo: nimis.

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2008-10-22, 10:05 

Roland le chevalier? Vous voulez dire Roland le clown de McDonalds? :wink:

Yes, SA English has many such marks as you say, but man... I'm not going to get into that now. Maybe on the weekend. Watch "Blood Diamond", Leonardo di Caprio does a real good South African Afrikaner accent, "hey bru"?!

Nope, those Australianisms are not part of the SA repertoire of possible accents.

Utwórz nowy wątek Odpowiedz w wątku  [ Posty: 20 ]  Przejdź na stronę Poprzednia strona  1, 2

Wszystkie czasy w strefie UTC + 1 [czas letni (DST)]