Teraz jest 2021-01-18, 11:56

Wszystkie czasy w strefie UTC + 1 [czas letni (DST)]

Autor Wiadomość
 Tytuł: borsuk
PostNapisane: 2008-10-26, 23:17 

I always thought that "borsuk" meant "badger" but one of my little girl's books has an illustration of an animal sitting in a tree, looking more like a cross between a raccoon and a cat with the caption "borsuk" under it.
The definition of "borsuk" in my dad's Polish dictionary doesn't fit in with the definition of a "badger" either (it says it's a member of the pine marten family (kuna)) but wikipedia's "borsuk" is definitely a badger.
So what is going on? Are there 2 animals with the name "borsuk" in Polish?
Can anyone shed any light for me please?

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2008-10-27, 00:02 

As far as I know borsuk is a badger, and kuna is a marten. Most probably the book is wrong. Only recently I have bought a book and found some 6 spelling mistakes - and the book was supposed to be a review textbook! Unfortunately it is not rare to find mistakes of that kind in books. Just enjoy the pictures :wink:

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2008-10-27, 01:21 

Thanks Cindy.
If it were only my daughter's picture book that had an odd picture I would have just thought the illustrator had made a mistake but then the description of "borsuk" in my dad's old Polish-Polish dictionary fitted in with the picture in the book and got me wondering... Sometimes animals in other parts of the world are given the same name as local animals despite being very different.
Perhaps I should expend more energy on improving my grammar and less on obscure vocabulary items. lol

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2008-10-27, 10:44 

according to Wikipedia :
Cytuj:
Badger is the common name for any animal of three subfamilies, which belong to the family Mustelidae: the same mammal family as the ferrets, the weasels, the otters, and several other types of carnivore. There are eight species of badger, in three subfamilies: Melinae (badgers of Europe and Asia – see links in species list below), Mellivorinae (the Ratel or honey badger), and Taxideinae (the American badger).

Wszystkie czasy w strefie UTC + 1 [czas letni (DST)]