Teraz jest 2020-04-04, 16:15

Wszystkie czasy w strefie UTC + 1 [czas letni (DST)]

Autor Wiadomość
PostNapisane: 2005-02-14, 05:19 

Bushisms ?Resignate? by Buck Wolf

Don't "misunderestimate" President Bush's "embettered" English. Bushisms are big business and worthy of "analyzation."
A talking Bush doll, a Bushisms calendar and several best-selling books celebrate the president's unique gift of gab.
Whether it's pronouncing nuclear as "NOO-kyuh-luhr," botching speeches, or coining new words like "Hispanically," Bush just seems to "resignate" with Americans.

The 2003 George W. Bush Quote Calendar has became a national sensation, selling more than 110,000 copies and getting on the Barnes & Noble and Calendars.com's Top 10 lists.

Bush's mangled words are even finding their way into the English language. "Misunderestimate" tops the list of 2002's new words, according to YourDictionary.com.

There are more than 10,000 references to "misunderestimate" on the Internet. Even if the word is often used as a joke, the president's impact is unmistakable, editors say.

For those of you not fluent in Bush-speak, here are definitions. Examples of their usage are offered here as documented by Jacob Weisberg's best sellers Bushisms and More Bushisms.

? Misunderestimate: To seriously underestimate. Usage: "They misunderestimated me." (Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000)

? Embetter: To make better. Usage: "I want to thank the ? people who made the firm and solemn commitment to work hard to embetter themselves." (Washington, D.C., April 18, 2002)

? Resignate: To resonate. Usage: "This issue doesn't seem to resignate with the people." (Portland, Ore., Oct. 31, 2000)

? Foreign-handed: To understand foreign policy. Bush usage: "I will have a foreign-handed foreign policy." (Redwood, Calif., Sept. 27, 2000)

? Analyzation: Analysis. Bush usage: "This case has had full analyzation and has been looked at a lot. I understand the emotionality of death penalty cases." (June 23, 2000)

There's a blooper reel for every modern president ? even those hailed as master communicators. It's no wonder. Every word they publicly utter is recorded and dissected. But Bush is on his way to become the Yogi Berra of American politics.

It's a talent that's been apparent since he set out on the campaign trail. "I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family," he told supporters in January 2000 at the Nashua Chamber of Commerce, shortly before the New Hampshire primary.

Bush addressed education policy in South Carolina: "Rarely is the question asked, Is our children learning?"

Then, debating rival John McCain, Bush made overtures to unite his party. "I think we agree, the past is over," he said, after complaining that the Arizona senator "can't take the high horse and then claim the low road."

Toy merchant John Warnock and his family struck gold just before Christmas with a talking George W. Bush doll ? a $30, 12 1-inch action figure that demonstrates the president's way with words with 17 "powerful and patriotic phrases."

Push the plastic president's button and he says all your favorite things, such as, "I don't need to be 'sublim-in-able' about the differences between our views."

Through it all, Bush laughs off his critics. "You have to admit in my sentences, I have gone where no man has gone before," he joked at his own expense at the 2001 White House Correspondents Dinner.

But if we laugh at Bush, we should remember that he's not the only national politician who's been roasted for his malapropisms. Al Gore certainly has been known to trip over his tongue.

On the campaign trail in 1996, Gore visited a school in a largely Hispanic section of Albuquerque, N.M., and decided to use a little Spanish. He tried to say "muchas gracias" ("many thanks"). Instead he waved and told the crowd, "machismo gracias" ("manliness thanks").

Then, in 1998, after Michael Jordan led the Chicago Bulls to their sixth NBA championship, the vice president offered this assessment of the game: "I tell you that Michael Jackson is unbelievable, isn't he? He's just unbelievable."

:D

Tytuł:
PostNapisane: 2005-02-14, 05:20 

more bush-quotes:

"Security is the essential roadblock to achieving the road map to peace."?Washington, D.C., July 25, 2003

"Our country puts $1 billion a year up to help feed the hungry. And we're by far the most generous nation in the world when it comes to that, and I'm proud to report that. This isn't a contest of who's the most generous. I'm just telling you as an aside. We're generous. We shouldn't be bragging about it. But we are. We're very generous."?Washington, D.C., July 16, 2003

"It's very interesting when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America, because of their steadfast and their religion and their belief in freedom, helped change America."?Dakar, Senegal, July 8, 2003 (Thanks to Michael Shively.)

"My answer is bring them on."?On Iraqi militants attacking U.S. forces, Washington, D.C., July 3, 2003

"You've also got to measure in order to begin to effect change that's just more?when there's more than talk, there's just actual?a paradigm shift."?Washington, D.C., July 1, 2003 (Thanks to Michael Shively.)

"I urge the leaders in Europe and around the world to take swift, decisive action against terror groups such as Hamas, to cut off their funding, and to support?cut funding and support, as the United States has done."?Washington, D.C., June 25, 2003

"Iran would be dangerous if they have a nuclear weapon."?Washington, D.C., June 18, 2003

"Now, there are some who would like to rewrite history?revisionist historians is what I like to call them."?Elizabeth, N.J., June 16, 2003

"I am determined to keep the process on the road to peace."?Washington, D.C., June 10, 2003 (Thanks to Tanny Bear.)

"The true strength of America happens when a neighbor loves a neighbor just like they'd like to be loved themselves."?Elizabeth, N.J., June 16, 2003

"We are making steadfast progress."?Washington, D.C., June 9, 2003 (Thanks to Michael Shively.)

"I'm the master of low expectations."?Aboard Air Force One, June 4, 2003

"I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things."?Aboard Air Force One, June 4, 2003

"I recently met with the finance minister of the Palestinian Authority, was very impressed by his grasp of finances."?Washington, D.C., May 29, 2003

"Oftentimes, we live in a processed world?you know, people focus on the process and not results."?Washington, D.C., May 29, 2003

"I've got very good relations with President Mubarak and Crown Prince Abdallah and the King of Jordan, Gulf Coast countries."?Washington, D.C., May 29, 2003

"All up and down the different aspects of our society, we had meaningful discussions. Not only in the Cabinet Room, but prior to this and after this day, our secretaries, respective secretaries, will continue to interact to create the conditions necessary for prosperity to reign."?Washington, D.C., May 19, 2003

"First, let me make it very clear, poor people aren't necessarily killers. Just because you happen to be not rich doesn't mean you're willing to kill."?Washington, D.C., May 19, 2003

"We ended the rule of one of history's worst tyrants, and in so doing, we not only freed the American people, we made our own people more secure."?Crawford, Texas, May 3, 2003

"We've had a great weekend here in the Land of the Enchanted."?Albuquerque, N.M., May 12, 2003 (New Mexico's state nickname is "Land of Enchantment.")

"We've got hundreds of sites to exploit, looking for the chemical and biological weapons that we know Saddam Hussein had prior to our entrance into Iraq."?Santa Clara, Calif., May 2, 2003

"I think war is a dangerous place."?Washington, D.C., May 7, 2003

"I don't bring God into my life to?to, you know, kind of be a political person."?Interview with Tom Brokaw aboard Air Force One, April 24, 2003

"You're free. And freedom is beautiful. And, you know, it'll take time to restore chaos and order?order out of chaos. But we will."?Washington, D.C., April 13, 2003

"Perhaps one way will be, if we use military force, in the post-Saddam Iraq the U.N. will definitely need to have a role. And that way it can begin to get its legs, legs of responsibility back."?the Azores, Portugal, March 16, 2003

"I know there's a lot of young ladies who are growing up wondering whether or not they can be champs. And they see the championship teams from USC and University of Portland here, girls who worked hard to get to where they are, and they're wondering about the example they're setting. What is life choices about?"?Washington, D.C., Feb. 24, 2003

"Now, we talked to Joan Hanover. She and her husband, George, were visiting with us. They are near retirement?retiring?in the process of retiring, meaning they're very smart, active, capable people who are retirement age and are retiring."?Alexandria, Va., Feb. 12, 2003

"Columbia carried in its payroll classroom experiments from some of our students in America."?Bethesda, Md., Feb. 3, 2003

"And, most importantly, Alma Powell, secretary of Colin Powell, is with us."?Washington, D.C., Jan. 30, 2003

"The war on terror involves Saddam Hussein because of the nature of Saddam Hussein, the history of Saddam Hussein, and his willingness to terrorize himself."?Grand Rapids, Mich., Jan. 29, 2003

"When Iraq is liberated, you will be treated, tried, and persecuted as a war criminal."?Washington, D.C., Jan. 22, 2003

"Many of the punditry?of course, not you (laughter)?but other punditry were quick to say, no one is going to follow the United States of America."?Washington, D.C., Jan. 21, 2003

"One year ago today, the time for excuse-making has come to an end."?Washington, D.C., Jan. 8, 2003

"I think the American people?I hope the American?I don't think, let me?I hope the American people trust me."?Washington, D.C., Dec. 18, 2002

"The goals for this country are peace in the world. And the goals for this country are a compassionate American for every single citizen. That compassion is found in the hearts and souls of the American citizens."?Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2002

"There's only one person who hugs the mothers and the widows, the wives and the kids upon the death of their loved one. Others hug but having committed the troops, I've got an additional responsibility to hug and that's me and I know what it's like."?Washington, D.C., Dec. 11, 2002

"In other words, I don't think people ought to be compelled to make the decision which they think is best for their family."?Washington, D.C., Dec. 11, 2002

"Sometimes, Washington is one of these towns where the person?people who think they've got the sharp elbow is the most effective person." ?New Orleans, Dec. 3, 2002

"The law I sign today directs new funds and new focus to the task of collecting vital intelligence on terrorist threats and on weapons of mass production."?Washington, D.C., Nov. 27, 2002

"These people don't have tanks. They don't have ships. They hide in caves. They send suiciders out."?Speaking about terrorists, Portsmouth, N.H., Nov. 1, 2002

"I know something about being a government. And you've got a good one."?Stumping for Gov. Mike Huckabee, Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 4, 2002

"I need to be able to move the right people to the right place at the right time to protect you, and I'm not going to accept a lousy bill out of the United Nations Senate."?South Bend, Ind., Oct. 31, 2002

"John Thune has got a common-sense vision for good forest policy. I look forward to working with him in the United Nations Senate to preserve these national heritages."

"Any time we've got any kind of inkling that somebody is thinking about doing something to an American and something to our homeland, you've just got to know we're moving on it, to protect the United Nations Constitution, and at the same time, we're protecting you."?Aberdeen, S.D., same day

"Let me tell you my thoughts about tax relief. When your economy is kind of ooching along, it's important to let people have more of their own money."?Boston, Oct. 4, 2002

"I was proud the other day when both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or we will."?Speaking about Saddam Hussein, Manchester, N.H., Oct. 5, 2002

"You see, the Senate wants to take away some of the powers of the administrative branch."?Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2002

"We need an energy bill that encourages consumption."?Trenton, N.J., Sept. 23, 2002

"People say, how can I help on this war against terror? How can I fight evil? You can do so by mentoring a child; by going into a shut-in's house and say I love you."?Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2002

"I'm plowed of the leadership of Chuck Grassley and Greg Ganske and Jim Leach."?Davenport, Iowa, Sept. 16, 2002

"There's an old saying in Tennessee?I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee?that says, fool me once, shame on?shame on you. Fool me?you can't get fooled again."?Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."?South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002

"If you don't have any ambitions, the minimum-wage job isn't going to get you to where you want to get, for example. In other words, what is your ambitions? And oh, by the way, if that is your ambition, here's what it's going to take to achieve it."?Speech to students in Little Rock, Ark., Aug. 29, 2002

"See, we love?we love freedom. That's what they didn't understand. They hate things; we love things. They act out of hatred; we don't seek revenge, we seek justice out of love."?Oklahoma City, Aug. 29, 2002

"There's no cave deep enough for America, or dark enough to hide."?Oklahoma City, Aug. 29, 2002

"President Musharraf, he's still tight with us on the war against terror, and that's what I appreciate. He's a?he understands that we've got to keep al-Qaida on the run, and that by keeping him on the run, it's more likely we will bring him to justice."?Ruch, Ore., Aug. 22, 2002

"I'm a patient man. And when I say I'm a patient man, I mean I'm a patient man."

"Nothing he [Saddam Hussein] has done has convinced me?I'm confident the Secretary of Defense?that he is the kind of fellow that is willing to forgo weapons of mass destruction, is willing to be a peaceful neighbor, that is?will honor the people?the Iraqi people of all stripes, will?values human life. He hasn't convinced me, nor has he convinced my administration."?Crawford, Texas, Aug. 21, 2002

"I'm thrilled to be here in the bread basket of America because it gives me a chance to remind our fellow citizens that we have an advantage here in America?we can feed ourselves."?Stockton, Calif., Aug. 23, 2002

"There's no bigger task than protecting the homeland of our country."

"The federal government and the state government must not fear programs who change lives, but must welcome those faith-based programs for the embetterment of mankind."?Stockton, Calif., Aug. 23, 2002

"I love the idea of a school in which people come to get educated and stay in the state in which they're educated."

"There may be some tough times here in America. But this country has gone through tough times before, and we're going to do it again."

"I promise you I will listen to what has been said here, even though I wasn't here."

"I can assure you that, even though I won't be sitting through every single moment of the seminars, nor will the vice president, we will look at the summaries."

"Tommy [Thompson, Health and Human Services secretary,] is a good listener, and he's a pretty good actor, too."

"The trial lawyers are very politically powerful. ? But here in Texas we took them on and got some good medical?medical malpractice.""I firmly believe the death tax is good for people from all walks of life all throughout our society."?Waco, Texas, Aug. 13, 2002

"There was no malfeance involved. This was an honest disagreement about accounting procedures. ... There was no malfeance, no attempt to hide anything."?White House press conference, Washington, D.C., July 8, 2002

"I also understand how tender the free enterprise system can be."?White House press conference, Washington, D.C., July 9, 2002

"Over 75 percent of white Americans own their home, and less than 50 percent of Hispanos and African Americans don't own their home. And that's a gap, that's a homeownership gap. And we've got to do something about it."?Cleveland, Ohio, July 1, 2002

"Whether you're here by birth, or whether you're in America by choice, you contribute to the vitality of our life. And for that, we are grateful."?Washington, D.C., May 17, 2002

"I'd rather have them sacrificing on behalf of our nation than, you know, endless hours of testimony on congressional hill."?National Security Agency, Fort Meade, Maryland, June 4, 2002

"We're working with Chancellor Schröder on what's called 10-plus-10-over-10: $10 billion from the U.S.,$10 billion from other members of the G7 over a 10-year period, to help Russia securitize the dismantling?the dismantled nuclear warheads."?Berlin, Germany, May 23, 2002

"Do you have blacks, too?"?To Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001

"This is a nation that loves our freedom, loves our country."?Washington, D.C, May 17, 2002

"The public education system in America is one of the most important foundations of our democracy. After all, it is where children from all over America learn to be responsible citizens, and learn to have the skills necessary to take advantage of our fantastic opportunistic society."?Santa Clara, Calif., May 1, 2002

"After all, a week ago, there were?Yasser Arafat was boarded up in his building in Ramallah, a building full of, evidently, German peace protestors and all kinds of people. They're now out. He's now free to show leadership, to lead the world."?Washington, D.C., May 2, 2002

"This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating."?as quoted by the New York Daily News, April 23, 2002

"I want to thank the dozens of welfare to work stories, the actual examples of people who made the firm and solemn commitment to work hard to embetter themselves."?Washington, D.C., April 18, 2002

"And so, in my State of the?my State of the Union?or state?my speech to the nation, whatever you want to call it, speech to the nation?I asked Americans to give 4,000 years?4,000 hours over the next?the rest of your life?of service to America. That's what I asked?4,000 hours." ?Bridgeport, Conn., April 9, 2002

"It would be a mistake for the United States Senate to allow any kind of human cloning to come out of that chamber."?Washington, D.C., April 10, 2002

"For a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times."?Tokyo, Japan, Feb. 18, 2002

"We've tripled the amount of money?I believe it's from $50 million up to $195 million available."?Lima, Peru, M

"We had a good Cabinet meeting, talked about a lot of issues. Secretary of State and Defense brought us up to date about our desires to spread freedom and peace around the world."

"- I went to the Koyote conference...
- no, it's Kioto"

"This country will not be taken hostile... erm... hostage"

"A lot of our imports come from the other countries"

:D

Wszystkie czasy w strefie UTC + 1 [czas letni (DST)]